Please note our 2023 calendar is full and we are accepting requests for events in 2024.
Congratulations on the opening of your business – what a huge accomplishment! The Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce is always excited to celebrate new businesses in our community and promote economic development. We are so glad you chose to make Durham your business home.
A ribbon cutting is a great opportunity to celebrate your success and introduce yourself to other chamber members and business community. Below is a synopsis of how the Chamber can support you during your event.
What the Chamber Provides:
• Large ceremonial scissors
• Long length of ribbon
• Social media promotion
• Posting on calendar of events
What you Provide the Chamber:
• Name of event
• Start time
• End time
• Location, including address
• Registration site, as applicable
• RSVP deadline
• Specific directions or parking instructions as needed
• Event blurb – to include activities during the event, giveaways, raffles, honored attendees, etc.
Tips for Planning:
• Choose a date that avoids major conflicts with community events, public school calendars, and/or holidays.
• Take your target audience into careful consideration during planning – is your event targeted toward the business community, ideal clients, elected officials, etc. Knowing your target audience will drive when is the best time to host your event.
• Create an event agenda. A brief program adds focus to the event and gives you dedicated time to address your attendees.
• Consider providing a giveaway that promotes your business.
• Keep in mind ultimately this is your event and you know your customers best. The Chamber is here to support and provide the above items.
• Every effort will be made for Chamber staff to attend during traditional business hours (Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.). Events must be requested at least 6 weeks in advance.
• While we’ll list your ribbon cutting on our website calendar of events, we strongly encourage you to tap your own network and promote via your own channels. The Chamber does not request RSVPs on your behalf nor guarantees a number of attendees.
Ribbon Cuttings and Milestone Celebrations are reserved for members of the Durham Chamber of Commerce in good financial standing. If you are a non-member, or a member not in good financial standing, there will be a fee of $500 for the event.