Push the Reset Button: 10 Reasons to Attend WellFest 2020
By Durham Magazine / Published 08.06.20Back to Feed
Register today for WellFest 2020 – a virtual weekend focused on mental and physical wellness. In the early days of the coronavirus shutdown, we witnessed a spike in wellness motivation. But what happened to those people who were sharing their Sunday meal preps or latest yoga pose achievement on social media? It’s time to push the reset button. This fall, preregister for 30-plus free livestreamed classes taught by local wellness pros, with topics ranging from POUND drumming to sacred sound meditation. Keep scrolling for 10 reasons to attend WellFest 2020.
- A Fresh Start Who says you have to wait till Jan. 1 to make life-changing resolutions? Start a clean slate at WellFest. This year has taught us that life can be unpredictable, so get a grip and take back control over your own physical and mental wellness.
- Build Your Community WellFest’s mission is to foster a community invested in wellness by supporting health providers in our area. From personal trainers to financial wellness experts, our neighborhood is full of health-focused heroes. Build your wellness family by sharing meaningful experiences and conversations with local professionals.
- Have Fun. No, Seriously We’ve all had our fair share of coma-inducing Zoom meetings that seem to go on in never-ending circles for hours. WellFest 2020 is not that kind of virtual event. Pick topics that you find most interesting from WellFest’s 30-plus free livestreamed classes! Or plan an at-home date night by purchasing a ticket to WellFest PLUS, explained below.
- Healthy Tastes Good WellFest PLUS is an interactive cooking class for two with Kevin Callaghan, chef and owner of Acme in Carrboro, on Oct. 3. Turn your regularly scheduled Netflix and microwave popcorn into a delicious night of fun, in the safety and comfort of your own kitchen! Drive through the contactless pick up for your supplies and swag bag at University Kia in Durham, then prepare dinner with a virtual cooking class at home that evening. Learn expert tips and tricks to creating an entirely gluten-free and health-focused dinner featuring fresh produce by Hungry Harvest and a sustainable protein dish from Firsthand Foods.
- Try Something New Jealous of your friends and family who have unleashed their inner-DIY skills during the pandemic? Join the fun and try something outside of your wheelhouse by registering for a new group fitness class or learning the art of well-balanced meal planning in a judgement-free zone during a WellFest livestreamed class.
- Connect with Local Experts In addition to WellFest’s 30-plus free classes, you can also sign up for exclusive interactive classes. Meet the leading professionals in mental health and career growth through WellFest’s live virtual classes on Oct. 4. These one-hour intensive sessions will help you tackle work-life resiliency and self-confidence while building authentic relationships with local experts.
- Redefine Wellness Take a step back from the scale and go in a new direction by attending WellFest. Each virtual class supports one or more of the five pillars of wellness: movement, nutrition, motivation, mental health and culture. WellFest’s video collection provides participants with the tools to engage with wellness education that goes beyond physical fitness – discover meditative practices, organization skills and more through our diverse roster of community coaches.
- Set Intentions WellFest attendees will be given the necessary tools to set real-life intentions for their wellness journey. It starts at WellFest, but it ends with your choice to continue to set positive goals and habits for the future.
- Give Back WellFest is proud to partner with Durham Tech Foundation to support its student scholarship fund. Participants can feel good about enjoying this virtual festival as it supports the health of our community and directly gives back to the advancement of local students.
- You’re Not Alone WellFest offers attendees a network rooted in group-strength mentality, whether you are at the beginning of your wellness journey, somewhere toward the middle or beyond. Together we can learn, discuss and apply the tools necessary for building and nourishing a foundation based on wellness.