Startup Stampede launches seven new companies
The third installment of the Bull City Startup Stampede concluded last night with pitches from the seven participating companies. Over 120 people from throughout the Triangle’s startup ecosystem, including early-stage investors, heard the companies’ final pitches, their progress made during the 60-day initiative, and their next steps at downtown Durham’s Beyu Caffe.
While previous Stampede classes have focused primarily on technology and software, the third Stampede displayed the diversity of industry types in Durham and the Triangle. The Bull City Startup Stampede had companies in fashion and jewelry, financial services, social media and even a jazz non-profit. Of the seven companies that participated in the Stampede, five are staying in Durham after the program ends.
There were several highlights to the program this go around, including a seed round raised by Offline Media, a startup creating a social event platform that helps young professionals connect offline. This is the second time a Stampede company raised money while in the Stampede. Another startup, Alekto, which works in the consumer credit space, will stay in Durham after moving from Washington, D.C. for the Stampede.
The Bull City Startup Stampede also partnered with Pruvop, a digital products lab in downtown Durham, to award one startup a prize package including $5,000 in custom software development and consulting. Pruvop co-founder, Adam Schultz, announced The Art of Cool as the recipient of the software package. The Art of Cool is a jazz presenting non-profit working to launch an international jazz festival in Durham.
The Chamber and Downtown Durham Inc. partnered on two previous Stampede which brought 28 companies to downtown Durham and leveraged over $100,000 in in-kind support.
Be sure to follow these companies and their progress on Twitter!
- Alekto empowers consumers through innovative credit reporting management services. @AlektoCo
- Directed Deposits helps individuals find and fund high interest, FDIC-insured savings accounts that are good for your wallets and the issues & communities you care about. @DirectedDeposits
- Freshly Given embraces minimalist style, creativity & sustainability through accessories, handmade from genuine re-purposed leather. @FreshlyGiven
- Offline Media is envisioning a world where “social” means more than just sitting behind a computer. @offlinemedia
- Seam Happy designs and makes custom promotional products, decor, and apparel. For business, home, and general happiness. @SeamHappy
- Social Media Phobia Solutions is a fearless digital media consulting and business management firm. @BreeLDavis
- Sweeps helps you get just about anything done by motivated college students for $25 per hour. @SweepsJobs
- The Art of Cool Project is dedicated to preserving, presenting, and promoting the local vibrant, varied, and surprisingly under-appreciated jazz and art scene in Raleigh-Durham. @theaocproject