May is Small Business Month, and the Durham Chamber’s Small Business Council is rolling out some resources from members for members. But first, take a look at some statistics about small businesses.
According to IDC, small businesses:
- Represent more than 99.7% of all employers
- Produce over $6 trillion in GDP each year
- Provide 60-80% of net new jobs annually
- Pay 44.3% of total U.S. Private payroll
- Employ 50% of all private-sector workers and 39% of workers in high-tech jobs.
More than 500,000 small businesses are started each year.
There are roughly 30 million small businesses in the U.S. (data from PaySimple)
Now that we know how much economic impact small businesses have, let’s get to what the Durham Chamber is doing for small businesses.
The Small Business Council of the Durham Chamber provides:
- Ongoing business owner education through its Chamber U programs
- Connects small business owners to large business buyers through its Greet the Purchasers program
- Networking training and networking events each month to connect members and the community
- A Small Business Certification program so that small business can get contracts with large companies and governments
Stay tuned throughout the month of May for ideas and resources from Durham Chamber members and advocates that can help your business grow and prosper. The Durham Chamber wants you to have your BEST YEAR EVER!
About the guest blogger:
Craig is a business and marketing strategist and small business advocate. He has started and run three businesses, and has helped hundreds of companies in North Carolina and internationally to increase profitability. He works with and has taught the entrepreneurship program at UNC Business School, and will assume the role of Chair of the Small Business Council at the Durham Chamber at the end of May. Big Think uncovers hidden opportunities for profitable growth. TribeSpring is a mobile app that makes it easier for small business owners and salespeople to make money by referral. Feel free to reach Craig at email@example.com.